June 2020 Wrap Up
by Grace Wagner, Reading Room Access Services Supervisor
This June, we are celebrating the accomplishments of several SCRC staff members. First, congratulations to Brett Barrie, Assistant Catalog Librarian, Acquisitions and Cataloging and Nicole Westerdahl, Reference and Access Services Librarian, who were promoted from Assistant Librarian to Senior Assistant Librarian status. And a hearty thank you to Courtney Asztalos, Plastics and Historical Artifacts Curator, who served as the chair of the promotion committee this year.
Further congratulations to the seven recipients of Dean David Seaman’s 2020 Commendation Awards, including two members of SCRC’s staff:
- Nicole Westerdahl, Reference and Access Services Librarian for Special Collections Research Center, on the support of research, digitization, and copyright for Forever Orange.
- Courtney Asztalos, Plastics and Historical Artifacts Curator for Special Collections Research Center, for making the plastics collection much more prominent on campus and an important teaching tool in the chemistry and Visual Performing Arts programs.
Congratulations to all!
Call for Submissions
A reminder that the Syracuse University Archives is seeking to record and preserve the personal responses of Syracuse University students, faculty, and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Looking Back at June Events
- 6 June 2020. Frederick Douglass letters from SCRC’s collections are referenced in an article from the Colorado Springs Gazette that considers the future of America and the Black Lives Matter movement from an archival lens.
- 10 June 2020. A Geneva company plans to renovate the former Syroco facility in Van Buren and turn the space into a plastics recycling plant. Brief history of Syroco provided through SCRC.
- 15 June 2020. Breuer architecture drawings from SU Libraries referenced in article on dramatic beauty of Brutalist architecture.
Newly Processed Collections
- University Archives. Frederick Marvin Audio Materials.
Highlight from Social Media
June Blog Roundup
- Dragnet! A Musical Controversy by Nora Ramsey, Reference Assistant
- “Durable and Elegant”: Mary Edwards Walker and Dress Reform by Grace Wagner, Reading Room Access Services Supervisor
- The Perfect Recipe for Conservation by David Stokoe, Conservation Librarian
- Rehousing the American Book Company Illustrations by Sebastian Modrow, Curator of Rare Books and Manuscripts
The image featured in the header of this post is from our Syracuse University Commencement Reference Collection (Syracuse University Commencement Reference Collection, Special Collections Research Center, University Archives, Syracuse University Libraries), part of the Special Collections Research Center’s University Archives collections.