Top Picks: Streaming Video and Online News Access From SU Libraries
by Dan Mulvhill G’21, Maxwell School of Citizenship & Public Affairs
Streaming services and digital news subscriptions are more popular than ever, and the Libraries frequently receive questions about what students have access to on the topic. With over 700 databases, campus users have access to tons of great services from streaming movies and documentaries to digital news subscriptions. Here are just a few highlights that every member of the Syracuse University community should know about!
All resources can be found in the Libraries’ database menu by name. Some resources do require specific login instructions.
- Swank Digital Campus: Swank is a wonderful source for accessing all genres and eras of popular movies, from Casablanca (1942) to Tenet (2020). They are constantly changing their content for new and popular movies, so it is worth checking out frequently to see what movies you have access to watch.
- Kanopy: This is the perfect place for streaming documentaries, biopics, world cinema and more! Browse by topic or genre and download the Kanopy app to play on a mobile device or with services like ChromeCast.
- Academic Videos Online: Academic Videos Online, or AVON, is a great source for silent movies, short films and archives of news broadcasts like 60 Minutes and the BBC. There is also a collection of plays, operas, ballets and other live performances. Once you are on the AVON site, you can browse collections, highlights and search for specific content.
- New York Times Digital Edition: As one of the most popular sources of news in the nation, the New York Times Digital Edition is a sought-after subscription. Creating an account and obtaining a digital subscription is available for SU users with a Net ID and password. Register on the NYTimes website and see additional information on the New York Times guide. Make sure to use your syr.edu email when you are creating your account to get the subscription.
- Wall Street Journal: The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) is a well-known source for all things business. With the Libraries’ access, all SU users can set up their own WSJ account for app access. First time users may register on the WSJ website. Please see additional information on the Wall Street Journal guide. Make sure to use your syr.edu email address when you are creating your account to get the subscription.
These are just a few examples of the content and services that all students, faculty and staff should know about. Feel free to check these out and explore what else the library has to offer on the website or ask our staff for help!