426 Ostrom Ave. Special Collections Research Center

Page featured image content

white two story Victorian house

Page main body content

Nursing School Building from 1972 to 2006

Originally Constructed: 1875 by Professor Wellesley P. Coddington

Original Style: Victorian

Original Space: Three story red brick with double-gabled roof, cupola between gables

Purchased by Delta Upsilon Fraternity: 1887

Cost of 1956 Renovation and Addition: $175,000 to renovate building; $60,000 for 2 story addition

Architect for Renovation and Addition: Gordon P. Schopfer, Syracuse

Leased by SU: 1972

Cost of 1972 Renovation: $55,373

Purchased by SU: July 1979

Cost: Exchanged for property at 711 Comstock Avenue, plus $70,000

Materials: brick

Notes: Built by SU professor Wellesley Perry Coddington, residence had winding staircase in entry and solid oak trim throughout; home to Delta Upsilon Fraternity from 1887 to 1972; during World War II fraternity members moved out to allow building's use as housing for Army Air Crew men arriving on campus. Renovations became necessary to bring building up to code for a multiple-residence dwelling, so fraternity began extensive renovations and expansion from 1955 to 1956; virtually all of the original building was demolished except for front wall containing main entrance and south wall containing fireplace; 36'x70' wing added to north end. Building became property of Dikaia Foundation, educational foundation of Syracuse University's DU chapter, in 1972. Dikaia subsequently leased, then sold, building to SU.

Building renovated a second time when School of Nursing moved in June 1, 1972; later, home to the Department of Health and Wellness, and Department of Child & Family Studies.

Building features plaque honoring author Stephen Crane, who attended SU during spring semester of 1890-1891 academic year and lived there as member of Delta Upsilon.