Bauhaus/ Sculpture Studio Special Collections Research Center

Page featured image content

two story building with six large windows and solar panels on roof

Bauhaus / Sculpture Studio, Image 07-0082

Page main body content

Constructed: Prior to 1929

Purchased by SU: ca. 1946

Cost: $17,203

Location: 202 Marshall Street

Material: wood frame

Renovated: 1946

Demolished: 1981

Notes: The former carriage house barn was converted to a sculpture studio for noted sculptor Ivan Mestrovic during his time teaching at the university, 1947-1955. The name "Bauhaus" was given to it by Mestrovic's students. It was demolished, along with several other buildings, in 1981 to make way for University Inn and Conference Center that later became University Sheraton.