DellPlain Hall Special Collections Research Center

Page featured image content

multi-level building with steel and glass windows built on hill, walkway or patio beneath part of building that sits lower

Page main body content

Construction Began: Fall 1959

First Occupied: September, 1961

Dedicated: November 10, 1961

Architects: Harry A. and F. Curtis King

Contractor: D. W. Winkelman Construction Company

Cost: $3 million

Funding: Financed through Housing and Home Finance Agency

Location: 601 Comstock Avenue

Materials: Decorative raised brick

Space: 127,000 square feet

Name for: Dr. Morse O. DellPlain, President of Welsbach Engineering and Management Corporation, Class of 1905, 1951H, SU trustee 1956 to 1962

Renovated: 1992

Notes: Originally a men's dormitory built on a hill, DellPlain was built with 8 floors on one side and 9 on the other. Each floor was equipped with a kitchenette and a study room. It also housed a library, student lounge, laundry room, recreation room, and hobby room.