Reid Hall Special Collections Research Center

Page featured image content

multistory brick building

Reid Hall, Image 10-1517

Page main body content

Site purchased by SU: March 1912

Cornerstone Laid: December 12, 1912

Building Occupied by Syracuse Free Dispensary: March 30, 1914

Materials: Brick and limestone

Location: 610 East Fayette Street

Space:30,000 square feet

Rededicated as Reid Hall: March 30, 1958

Named for: John Morrison Reid, SU trustee and former president of Genesee College; benefactor responsible for bringing Van Ranke Library to SU

Sold to Central New York Charter School: 2002

Notes: In 1912 SU purchased the properties at 610 - 614 E. Fayette, tearing down the existing brick buildings, with the intention of erecting a Free Dispensary associated with the College of Medicine. A citywide labor strike in 1913 delayed construction, but the Dispensary opened in 1914. Although SU turned over the College of Medicine to the State of New York in 1950, the Free Dispensary continued to operate in this location until notified by the University in 1954 that it must vacate as SU now had another use for the building. In June 1957, SU reclaimed use of the building and renovated it for University College. The building was put up for sale in October 1996.