New Collections Resources January - June 2023
Following are new resources added to the Libraries' collections between January and June 2023.
Databases and Digital Primary Source Collections
- Africa Knowledge Project (AKP): Journal articles, research, folktales, music, and video across the humanities and social sciences, from and about Africa and the African diaspora.
- African American Police League Records, 1961-1988
- Black Freedom Struggle in the 20th Century: United States Federal Government records, organizational records, and personal papers related to critical people and events in African American history.
- Colonial Caribbean, Module II: Documents of the Colonial Office of the British Government specific to the governance of islands in the English-speaking Caribbean from 1624-1872. Includes census data, correspondence, legislative acts, medical and military reports, and maps. Documents relate to trade, law, piracy, plantation governance, agriculture, enslavement and emancipation, crime, and estate ownership.
- Decolonization: The Politics of Independence in Former Colonial Territories: Documents, ephemera, political campaign material, press releases, conference documents, reports, letters, and speech transcripts from 1945 and to present focused on political systems and processes of national political developments that followed decolonization.
- Environment Complete: A full-text journal database for environmental studies and other related subject areas, provides hundreds of top environment journals covering ecosystem ecology, energy, environmental policy, sustainability, and other related subjects.
- Functional Anatomy and Therapy and Diseases and Conditions, two new modules added to Anatomy.TV under the tab labeled “titles.” 3D human body anatomy with physiology content, as well as case studies, study guides and more.
- Korean Studies Information Service System (KISS): Korean scholarly journal articles, university publications and research papers published by over 1,200 research institutions in South Korea.
- NAACP Papers: Education, Voting, Housing, Employment Collection; Armed Forces Files; Legal Department Files. Access is courtesy of SU Law Library.
- North American City Reports, a new module in Policy Commons under the tab labeled “cities.” Papers from think tanks, IGOs, NGOs, local governments, and research organizations around the world including papers from dissolved organizations.
- South Asia Archive: Books, journals and documents from across the Indian subcontinent from 1700 to 1953, originally collected by the South Asian Research Foundation (SARF), covering India, Pakistan, Burma, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh. Documents included in the archive are written in English, Bengali, Sanskrit, and more.
- UrbanNext: eBooks, essays, photographic atlases, data, architectural projects, podcasts, and lecture videos about contemporary urban environments.
News, Journals, Periodicals and Periodical Archives
- African American Newspapers, 19th Century, Part 14: The Canadian Observer, 1914-1919
- Augustinian Studies 1970 to current
- Ebony Magazine Archives 1945-2014
- Foreign Policy Online News, articles, and research from a US perspective on global affairs, current events, and both domestic and international policy. Contents updated daily.
- Gender and Language 2007 to Present
- Jet Magazine Archives 1951-2014
- Journal of Gaming & Virtual Worlds, 2009 to Present
- ProQuest Historical Black Newspapers:
- Spanish in Context 2004 to current
- Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure, 2016 to Present
- The Atlantic Magazine Archives 1857-2014
- Urban Social Work 2017 to current
- Washington Post Digital Website and app access. Learn how to set up your syr.edu email access on the Washington Post guide
Open Access Support
- SU Libraries has negotiated several new read-and-publish agreements. For these publishers, article publishing charges (APCs) for SU authors in 2023 are included in our journal subscription. Authors can visit the Research Guide on Open Access Publishing for instructions on how to take advantage of these agreements.
- SPIE Optics and Phototonics
- IOP Institute of Physics
- Company of Biologists,
- The Plan Journal: Research in Architecture and Urbanism
- SU Libraries made a 5-year annual commitment through the Lyrasis Open Access Community Investment Program to support the following journals publishing their future articles diamond open access, meaning that authors do not have to pay to publish
- Liquid Blackness, published by Duke University Press
- Language, Literature, and Interdisciplinary Studies, published by E.L.A. Project
- Cultural Anthropology, published by the Society for Cultural Anthropology
- Journal of Noncommutative Geometry. SU Libraries contributed funds to make 2023 articles open access for the world through the European Mathematical Society’s “Subscribe to Open” model.
- South Asian Newspapers: SU Libraries contributed funds to digitize newspapers from South Asia, published between 1850 and 1992, through the Global Press Archive (GPA) CRL Charter Alliance project.
- University of Michigan eBooks 2023. SU Libraries contributed funds to make 2023 eBooks open access for the world through the UMP Fund to Mission Program.
- ACS Guide to Scholarly Communication, A resource for best practices in scholarly communication for STEM disciplines. This comprehensive guide covers topics from article structure and the peer-review process to open access and data sharing.
- ACS (American Chemical Society) InFocus eBooks, Collection 2, now active on the ACS Publications platform
- Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek Online, A modern dictionary for Ancient Greek, translated from Franco Montanari’s Vocabolario della Lingua Greca, and edited under the auspices of The Center for Hellenic Studies in Washington, DC
- Currency Press Collection, on Bloomsbury Drama Online
- Elgar Publishing, themed collections on DEIA, Entrepreneurship, Business, Organizational Behavior, and UN Sustainable Development Goals, on the Elgar Online platform
- IEEE-MIT Press eBooks 2023 and IEEE-WILEY eBooks 2023 now active on the IEEE Xplore platform
- ICE (Institution of Civil Engineers) eBooks 2023 now active on the ICE Virtual Library platform
- Royal Society of Chemistry eBooks, imprint years 2018-2023, on the RSC Publishing platform
- SAGE Business Cases 2023 now active on the SAGE Business Cases platform.
- SAGE and CQ Press books and reference 2023 now active on the SAGE Knowledge platform
- Springer and Palgrave Macmillan books 2018 now active on the SpringerLink platform
- Springer Nature and Palgrave McMillan eBooks, imprint years 2018 and 2019, on the SpringerLink platform
- APA PsycNet Psychotherapy Demonstration Videos collection
- Bloomsbury Drama Online: Theatre Performance and Practice Collection; Playwrights and Practitioners Collection; Theatre Making and Performance Training Video Collection
- O'Reilly for Higher Education: eBooks, streaming videos, courses, and case studies that support skill development and certification training in information technology and business. Content is published by O’Reilly, Pearson, Prentice Hall Professional, IBM Redbooks, Wiley, McGraw Hill, and others.
- The Genius of Cavaillé Coll; The English Organ; and Maximum Reger; all from the Filmed Encyclopedia of the Organ and its Music on Organ Cinema