Remington Rand Special Collections Research Center

Page featured image content

multi story brick building, long and narrow

Remington Rand, Image 11-0345

Page main body content

Constructed: 1902

Acquired by SU: 1949 and 1950

Funding: Donated by Remington Rand Company

Materials: brick

Location: 114 Gifford Street

Space: 7 stories; spanning South Clinton Street between Dickerson and Gifford Streets

Demolished: 1974

Notes: In December 1949 the Remington Rand Company donated a portion of the former L.C. Smith Typewriter Company factory to SU; the remaining portion was conveyed in August 1950. The building was used primarily as warehousing for college stores and laboratory supplies, as well as office space. It also housed the Easy Bargain Center store.