Watson Hall Special Collections Research Center

Page featured image content

multi floor brick building with various levels or floors across building

Watson Hall , SU Photo & Imaging RS 8727

Page main body content

Watson Hall Dormitory for Men

Construction Began: November 1952

Dedicated: November 14, 1954

Building Occupied: September 1954

Named for: Thomas J. Watson, Sr., President of IBM 1914-1949 when land donated to SU for Triple Cities College, SU Trustee

Cost: $2,893,000 (included construction of Marion Hall)

Funding: U.S. Housing and Home Finance Agency loan

Architects: Lorimer Rich and Associates; King and King

Contractors: Edmund J. Rappoli Company

Landscaping: Noredo Rotunno

Materials: Reinforced concrete with brick facing and limestone trim

Location: 405 University Place

Space: Four stories with spaces for 448 residents

Renovation and Addition: 1989

Cost for Renovation and Addition: $2,987,938

Architects for Renovation and Addition: Bohlin Powell Larkin & Cywinski, Wilkes-Barre, PA

Contractor for Renovation and Addition: JD Taylor Construction, Syracuse

Additional Renovation: 1999 see Menschel Media Center

Notes: In June 1952 Syracuse University signed a loan agreement with the U.S. Housing and Home Finance Agency to borrow $2.75 million for construction of a unit containing two dormitories and a dining hall. In August 1989 students moved into the newly-renovated residence hall which included a 103-bed addition. A 1999 renovation created the Menschel Media Center.