Marion Hall Special Collections Research Center

Page featured image content

three-story brick building

Page main body content

Construction Began: November 1952

Dedicated: November 14, 1954

Building Occupied: September 1954

Named for: Frank J. Marion, class of 1890, motion picture pioneer and University trustee

Cost: $2,893,000 (included construction of Watson Hall)

Funding: U.S. Housing and Home Finance Agency loan

Renovated: 1988

Cost of Renovation: $1 million (including renovation of Shaw Hall)

Architects: Lorimer Rich and Associates; King and King

Contractors: Edmund J. Rappoli Company

Landscaping: Noredo Rotunno

Materials: Reinforced concrete with brick facing and limestone trim

Location: 305 Waverly Avenue

Space: L-shaped, three stories with space for 143 residents

Notes: In June 1952 Syracuse University signed a loan agreement with the U.S. Housing and Home Finance Agency to borrow $2.75 million for construction of a unit containing two dormitories. In the fall of 1996, Marion Hall was the last residence to lose its single-sex all-female status.