Weiskotten Hall Special Collections Research Center

Page featured image content

wide four story Georgian brick building with pillars in front

College of Medicine - 1937-1950, Image 10-1765

Page main body content

College of Medicine 1937-1950

Plans Drawn Up: 1926

Construction Began: May 1936

Ground Breaking Ceremony: June 2, 1936

Cornerstone Laid by President Franklin D. Roosevelt: September 29, 1936

Open House: November 21, 1937

Building Dedicated: November 22, 1937

Cost: $900,000

Funding: Public Works Administration loan

Architects: Dwight Baum and John Russell Pope

Style: Georgian

Location: 766 Irving Avenue

Space: 4 stories with laboratories, classrooms, lecture rooms, offices, an auditorium and a library

Building Transferred to New York State: June 1, 1950

Notes: A loan of $825,000 was given to SU for construction of a Basic Sciences building for the College of Medicine by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). In 1949, Syracuse was selected by the State University Board of Trustees as the site for the new Upstate Medical Center. In June 1950 the state assumed the remaining $640,000 of the original construction loan. In exchange, SU donated the land, as well as Yates Castle and its property, to the State for creation of the Upstate Medical Center.