Archbold Stadium Special Collections Research Center

Page featured image content

curved brick entranceway with two large columns on either side of entrance

Archbold Stadium, ARM 11-0124

Page main body content

Plans Announced: March 7, 1905

Groundbreaking: May 1, 1905

Construction Began: August 12, 1905

Construction Completed: 1908

Building Occupied: September 25, 1907

Demolished: December 1978 to March 1979

Named for: John D. Archbold

Cost: Over $400,000

Funding: John D. Archbold

Architects: Professors Frederick W. Revels and Earl Hallenbeck

Contractor: Consolidated Engineering and Construction Company, New

Materials: Steel and concrete

Location: Behind Steele Hall

Space: 6 ½ acres, 870' x 475'

Seating Capacity: 20,000 to 40,000 with 3,000 grandstand seats

Notes: The stadium was located in a natural hollow at the southwestern corner of campus. Much of the 200,000 cubic yards of earth excavated was used as fill for constructing Carnegie Library. A modern adaptation of the Roman Coliseum, the first football game played in the stadium took place on September 25, 1907 between Hobart and SU. At the time, the exterior of the stadium had not been completed. The final game played in Archbold was on November 11, 1978; SU beat Navy 20-17. The stadium was demolished to allow for construction of the Carrier Dome.