Steele Hall Special Collections Research Center
Page featured image content
Steele Hall, SU Photo & Imaging RS 8513
Page main body content
Construction Started: April, 1898
Building Occupied: October 1, 1898
Builders: Dickinson and Van Wagner
Style: Modified Renaissance
Architect: Edwin H. Gaggin, Class of 1892, Syracuse University School of Architecture
Materials: Rock-faced Onondaga limestone
Space: 130' by 75'
Cost: Over $46,000
Funding: $5,000, Mrs. Esther Baker Steele, trustee; $28,000, John D. Archbold; various other donors
Notes: Originally called Esther Baker Steele Hall of Physics, it was designed to match the Holden Observatory in style. Originally, it housed the Physics Department, until then located in the Hall of Languages. Over the years it has been the home of many other departments, such as Biology, Architecture and Citizenship. In 1969, the Physics Building was completed and Steele became an administration building. Functional improvements have been made over the years.