Chapel House/Community House Special Collections Research Center

Page featured image content

large brick tudor with winding driveway

Chapel House / Community House, Image 07-0083

Page main body content

Constructed: 1929

Cost: $150,000

Materials: brick

Style: Tudor

Location: 711 Comstock Avenue

Space: 3 stories

Purchased by SU: 1957

Opened for use: February 1, 1958

Sold by SU: July 1979; exchanged for property at 426 Ostrom Avenue plus $70,000

Notes: Originally built and owned by Beta Theta Pi, the house was acquired by SU when the fraternity lost its charter due to financial difficulties. Office space was created for University chaplains, counselors and student leaders and the house became an extension of Hendricks Chapel. Until 1969, the space was also shared with the Faculty Club. A chapel, original to the building, was used for worship services, movies, dances and public forums. In 1971 the name was changed to Community House.