Greenhouse Special Collections Research Center

Page featured image content

glass house structure

Greenhouse, Image 07-0270

Page main body content

Foundation Started: June 26, 1918

Building Occupied: September 1918

Cost: $15,000

Funding: Donation by Mrs. Russell Sage

Materials: Brick foundation; steel framework with glass body

Location: Behind Slocum Hall

Space: 35 feet by 120 feet

Demolished: ca. 1967

Notes: Built for use by the students of the Joseph Slocum College of Agriculture, the greenhouse was divided into 3 rooms heated by the University's central heating plant. Included were 4 basement rooms for growing mushrooms and potting plants. It was demolished prior to construction of Link Hall.