Huntington Hall Special Collections Research Center

Page featured image content

large multi-floor brick building

Huntington Hall, SU Photo Imaging RS 240522

Page main body content

Acquired by SU: 1915

Named for: Bishop Huntington, founder of the hospital

Materials: Brick and stone additions

Renovated and Expanded:1916 and 1918

Location: Marshall Street at University Avenue

1983 Renovation: Cost, $3,954,000; Architects, Schleicher-Soper; Contractor, JD Taylor

2013 Renovation: Cost, $2.5 million; Architects, PARA-Projects and Jonathan Lott, SU School of Architecture

Notes: Originally known as the Hospital of the Good Shepherd, it was re-named Huntington Hall in 1964 to honor the late Rt. Rev. Frederick D. Huntington, former Episcopal bishop of the Diocese of Central New York and the founder of the hospital. After patients and staff moved into the new State University Upstate Medical Center Hospital in 1966, the building was converted for academic purposes. A major renovation begun in 1982 moved the building's entrance from Marshall Street to University Avenue. Iron gates which previously topped the seating area at Archbold Stadium were erected between Huntington Hall and Marshall Street. A 2013 renovation re-established the main entrance on Marshall Street and the iron gates were removed. On May 9, the new Sharon H. Jacquet (class of 1972) Education Commons was dedicated.