King Family gift supports Architecture Reading Room renovation, renaming

Nov. 27, 2017, 11:10 a.m.

Russ and Joan “Jiggy” King

Dean of Libraries David Seaman and School of Architecture Dean Michael Speaks are pleased to announce a generous gift from Russell A. King ’52 and his late wife, Joan “Jiggy” King ’50 to create the King + King Architecture Library Endowed Support Fund. The gift is in celebration of the 150th anniversary of King + King Architects. Founded in 1868 by Archimedes Russell, King + King Architects is the oldest architectural firm in continuous practice in New York State and two years older than Syracuse University.

“We are delighted to have this support for the renovation and renaming of the Architecture Reading Room in Slocum Hall,” said Dean David Seaman. “It will give new life to an essential library resource in the daily lives of our architecture faculty and students.”

The gift will change the space dramatically, adding a technology-laden seminar space, a new circulation desk, a new HVAC system, and installation of updated library shelving. The fund also supports the space’s maintenance, collections, technology, and other needs through the creation of an endowment.

In recognition of the King’s generosity, the Reading Room will be renamed the King + King Architecture Library. The Library is slated to undergo renovation over the semester break in December 2017- January 2018. A grand opening of the space will occur during the spring semester of 2018.

“The story of the King + King Architects, as well as the King Family, is interwoven with the story of the Syracuse University and the School of Architecture,” said Dean Michael Speaks. “Indeed, you cannot tell one without the other. From the numerous projects the firm has completed on campus, to the six King family members who received a professional degree from the School, the two institutions are closely tied. We are thrilled for this bond to have a physical manifestation in the King + King Architecture Library. We give our deepest thanks to Russ and Jiggy King, as well as King + King Architects, for enabling this transformational project.”

With King + King Architects being two years older than Syracuse University, the two institutions have collaborated closely over the past 150 years. Notable campus projects where King + King served as architect include: Holden Observatory, Crouse College, Tolley Humanities Building, the Physics Building, Heroy Geology Laboratory, Manley Field House, and Bird Library. A full list of completed projects can be found below.

In addition, numerous members of the King Family are graduates of the Syracuse University School of Architecture. They are: Harry A. King 1924; F. Curtis King 1924; Russell A. King 1952; Peter G. King 1977; James R. King 1977; and Alex S. King 2011. The firm’s current CEO/managing partner, Kirk Narburgh, is a 1990 M.Arch graduate of the School and an adjunct professor. Peter King ’77 serves on the School of Architecture Advisory Board.

King + King Architects Projects on Syracuse University Campus

1887 – Holden Observatory

1889 – Crouse College

1889 – Von Ranke Library (Tolley)

1893 – Bastable Block

1949 – Physical Plant

1952 – Lowe Art Center (now part of Schine)

1952 – Shaw Hall

1953 – Hoople Building

1954 – Watson Hall

1954 – Marion Hall

1954 – White Hall

1954 – Link Hall

1955 – Haft Hall

1955 – Hinds Hall

1956 – Flint Hall

1958 – Regent Theatre Complex

1958 – Graham Dining Center

1959 – Day Hall

1959 – 804 University Avenue

1960 – Sadler Hall

1961 – Dellplain Hall

1961 – Manley Fieldhouse

1961 – Kimmel Hall

1963 – Biological Research

1963 – Booth Hall

1964 – Newhouse I

1964 – Haven Hall

1965 – Lawrinson Dormitory

1965 – Commissary

1967 – Physics Building

1968 – 621 Skytop

1970 – Link Hall

1972 – Heroy Geology Lab

1972 – Henry Health Center

1972 – Bird Library

2009 – Carmelo Anthony Basketball Center

2010 – Club 44

2016 – Chancellor’s Suite

2016 – Dellplain Residence Hall Renovations

Previous Next