Kimmel Hall Special Collections Research Center

Page featured image content

multi story brick building

Page main body content

Occupied: September 15, 1962

Completed: October 1, 1962

Named For: Claude L. Kimmel, Class of 1905, SU trustee

Cost: $1,000,000

Funding: Financed through Housing and Home Finance Agency

Architects: Harry A. & F. Curtis King

Contractor: R. A. Culotti Company

Materials: brick

Location: 305 Waverly Avenue

Renovated: 1988

Renovation Cost: $1 million (includes renovations to Haven, Marion and Shaw)

Notes: Kimmel Hall was originally built as a men's dormitory. Its innovative features included automatic elevators, outlets for closed circuit television, and individual room telephone outlets. It was first SU residence hall to house freshman and upperclassmen on the same floor. In 1992 the dining hall adjacent to the building was renovated and became Kimmel Food Court.