Nursing School Building 1945-1952 Special Collections Research Center
Page featured image content
School of Nursing Building 1945-1952, Image 11-0344
Page main body content
Construction Began: Fall 1944
Building Occupied: Spring 1945
Dedicated: June 6, 1945; ceremony held in Hendricks Chapel
Demolished: February 1952
Cost: Approximately $75,000
Funding: Financed jointly by SU and Federal Works Agency
Location: Irving Avenue at the south end of the Yates Castle grounds
Space: two-stories, 50' x 60'
Notes: To meet World War II's need for nurses, federal funding was made available to provide facilities for the new School of Nursing. The new building held classrooms, a "nursing arts laboratory" for demonstration and practice, offices and seminar rooms. Construction was delayed by winter weather and when it was finally occupied in 1945, no furniture had yet arrived. In January 1952, the building was purchased by the federal government. Shortly after, the School of Nursing moved to new quarters on Waverly Avenue and the building was demolished to build the Veteran's Administration Medical Center.