University Farm Special Collections Research Center
Page featured image content
University Farm, ARM 10-0584
Page main body content
Acquired by SU: 1910
Location: Colvin Street at the end of Lancaster Avenue, South Campus
Space: 200 acres
Notes: Originally a 100-acre farm, the University Farm grew to 200 acres by 1930. In 1913, Mrs. Russell Sage donated $30,000 to build 3 barns, which were completed in 1914 by the Jamesway Company of Wisconsin. Equipped for the best modern agricultural practices to benefit students from the Slocum College of Agriculture, the farm boasted a herd of dairy cows, hogs, horses, sheep, poultry and an apple orchard.
After the College of Agriculture closed in 1934, the farm continued to operate on a limited basis until the land was needed for housing units for World War II veterans attending SU. The Carriage House and the Inn Complete remain from the original farm buildings. The Skybarn is a replica of the original dairy barn.