Manley Field House Special Collections Research Center
Page featured image content
Manley Field House, SU Photo & Imaging RS 41150
Page main body content
George Leroy Manley Field House
Construction Began: November 22, 1960
Building Occupied: October 1961
Dedicated: December 15, 1962
Dedication Speaker: Chancellor William P. Tolley
Named for: Dr. George Leroy Manley
Cost: $2.1 million
Funding: Dr. Manley authorized the transfer of much of his previously donated monies to Chancellor Tolley's fund to build an athletic field house, plus an additional donation of $250,000; Class of 1948; Class of 1951; Paul Helm, Sr.; and friends of Lewis C. Ryan
Architects: King and King
Materials: Dome supported by 36 reinforced concrete columns and 36 precast concrete slabs; exterior walls consist of various colors of granite, marble, and quartz aggregate
Contractor: R.A. Culotti Construction Company, Inc.
Location: Corner of Comstock Avenue and East Colvin Street; part of Lampe Athletics Complex
Space: Original footprint occupied 1.6 acres; center dome rises 75 feet above the ground
Notes: Named for Dr. George L. Manley, 1920 graduate of the College of Medicine and University Trustee-at-Large (1958), Manley Field House serves as headquarters of the University's Athletics Department. Originally scheduled for construction in 1950-1951, a decree by the National Production Authority posed a ban on all construction of new buildings intended for amusement, recreation, or entertainment purposes. This delayed construction until 1960-1962. Chancellor Tolley envisioned the field house as an all-purpose facility. Not only did Manley Field House serve as home field for the SU basketball and track teams, but it also provided shelter for baseball, lacrosse, and football practices. The first men's basketball game was held at the field house on December 1, 1962 against Kent State University.
Manley has been used for many non-academic events, including the Chancellor's address to freshmen, concerts, dance marathons, and convocations. After the Carrier Dome was built it took over many of these events, including men's basketball, due to its larger capacity.
A wing was added to the field house and dedicated on November 3, 1991 for the football program. In June 1996, the football wing was renamed the George R. Iocolano and William C. Petty Football Wing , in honor of two alumni and benefactors of Syracuse University and its athletics program.
Roy Simmons Sr. Coaches Center was added to the front of Manley Field House in 1995 providing office space for coaches and educational facilities for SU student-athletes.
The Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center was attached to the complex in 2009. This $19 million, state-of-the-art basketball practice facility houses the men's and women's basketball programs. It is named for Anthony, a 2003 All-American who led the Orange to the NCAA Championship that season, and provided the naming gift.